Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Películas! Películas! Películas!

Well, over the last few months I have watched a good handfull of Spanish movies.  Now I'de like to say that it's because my desire to be fluent is so strong that it has flung me into such cinematic experiences.  But, as any Spanish major/minor at UNT will tell you, I am required to turn in a "portafolio" twice each semester.  Two of the possible ways to get credit for said portafolios is to watch a movie from a selected list.  Here are just a few that I felt like needed some well deserved attention:

Volver
A dramatic comedy about independent women and the struggles that plague a comedically dysfunctional family.  Also in this movie, Mrs. Penelope Cruz belts it out in this song right here:               






Como Agua Para Chocolate
I seriously have rented this from the library so many times I should really just go buy it.  Now, I know the picture looks like a cover of a romance novel...similar to the ones my grandma used to read (ewe by the way, grandma)... but I promise, its just beautiful.  It does get a bit heavy in there but I just nearly cry every dern time!

The Motorcycle Diaries
"The dramatization of a motorcycle road trip Che Guevara went on in his youth that showed him his life's calling."  BY FAR THE BEST SPANISH MOVIE I'VE SEEN YET! Seriously, I laughed, I cried, and my heart was moved for South America.  2 guys on a motorcyle, the 1950s, a short insight to the life of Che Guevara and Gael Garcia Bernal?  Done.  Just be careful, I haven't been able to get this song out of my head.  And by that I mean I downloaded it from iTunes and played it on repeat during our thanksgiving festivities: 



I've also seen  Amores Perros and Flores del Otro Mundo,  neither of which I would mind never watching again.   Now listen, I am BY NO MEANS some fanciful movie critic, just calling it like I see it.  Next up on my list:  Y Tu Mamá También.








OH GUYS!
 I ALSO wanted to tell you that my sweet sweet, GIFTED, friend Hannah Wright has agreed to make me one of her wonderful beaded bracelets in preparation for Spain!  She does REALLY great work!  You should check her out on facebook!  Here are two of the designs she came up with for me.  I chose the one on the right! So excited!  Thanks Hannah!

De Sus manos, les doy ustedes,
Brittney

1 comment: